Alert Section

Health & safety – what you need to do

Health and safety is actually about preventing people from being harmed by work or becoming ill through work.

In general, health and safety laws apply to all businesses, no matter how small. As an employer, or a self-employed person, you are responsible for health and safety in your business. You need to take the right precautions to control the risks of workplace dangers to yourself, employees and anyone else who may be affected and to provide a safe working environment.

Health and safety law covers employees, full or part-time, temporary or permanent; the self-employed; young people doing work experience; apprentices; charity workers; mobile workers and homeworkers. If you hire temps or casuals from agencies you have responsibilities for them too.

You need to:

  • Decide who will help you with your duties
  • Write a health and safety policy for your business (if you have 5 or more employees)
  • Manage the risks in your business
  • Consult your employees
  • Provide training and information
  • Provide the right workplace facilities
  • Make arrangements for first aid, accidents and ill health
  • Display the health and safety law poster
  • Get insurance for your business
  • Keep your business up to date

A very good place to start looking for more information is on the HSE website at (new window).


If you decide to use a health and safety consultant, please ensure that they are registered (new window). The use of a consultant does not absolve you from your responsibilities to manage health and safety, so it is important that the advice you receive from a consultant is sensible and proportionate. 

Contact us

Health and Enforcement Section, Public Protection
Flintshire County Council, County Hall, Mold, Flintshire, CH7 6NF

Tel       01352 703381

Fax      01352 703441