Alert Section

Early Years Workforce

Careers in Early Years and Childcare

Find out about the types of early years and childcare jobs and the qualifications and career progression available.

In Flintshire we are committed to developing a professional workforce made up of high quality staff, from all backgrounds to reflect the diversity of our County.

Early Years Educators / Practitioners

Early years educators / practitioners provide care, early learning and play opportunities for children under the age of five years. See ‘Who’s Who’ for further information.

You might work in:

Day nurseries

Working with children 0 – 7.  They are generally open all year round, Monday to Friday, 8:00am until 6:00pm, offering full day or half day sessions. They are mainly run as private businesses with some run by voluntary or community organisations and some based in Family Centres. Most have separate rooms or areas for groups of babies, toddlers and pre-school children.

Pre-schools (also known as playgroups)

Working with children aged two to five years. They generally operate during school term time and offer morning and/or afternoon sessions. They operate from a variety of locations including community centres, church halls and scout halls and are usually run by voluntary community groups.

Nursery classes and schools

Wworking with children aged three to five years. They are open term time only. There are two different types of nursery classes and schools: Maintained nursery classes operate in some schools and are run by the Local Education Authority and open term time only. Parents sometimes have the choice of flexible session times. Nursery units of independent schools and private nursery schools offer flexible sessions - morning, afternoon or all day. Some are open all year round, but some are term time only.


You might want to start your own business. Find out more about becoming a childminder at


Playworkers facilitate play opportunities and activities for school-aged children between the ages of five and eleven, outside usual school hours.  You might work in out of school / playwork settings usually based in or near schools and often run by the school, by private businesses or local voluntary organisations.