Real Nappy Scheme
On average, a baby will use approximately 5,000 nappies during their early years.
In Wales alone, about 200 million nappies are thrown away each year and if landfilled they would not start to break down for hundreds of years. Flintshire no longer landfills household waste, therefore nappies included in black sack waste are destined for Parc Adfer at Deeside to generate energy from waste.
Disposable nappies are expensive and cannot be reused. However there are now a few companies that can treat and recycle disposable nappies into fibre for reuse. In the near future, nappies will be recycled as more companies open up.
Flintshire encourage residents to use modern “real” reusable nappies to save money and help the environment, as Reuse is always a better option.
- Modern reusable nappies are easy to use and come in a variety of shapes and styles with Velcro and popper fittings. No more folding and safety pins!
- Are comfortable and colourful!
- They can save you money! And can be used again for a second or third child.
- They save space in your wheelie bin. No more disposables taking up room, and they reduce trips to the local civic amenity sites
- Washing nappies is easy. There’s no need to boil and soak, just wash at 60 degrees. Nappy laundry services can collect soiled nappies and deliver freshly laundered ones direct to the door.
How can the council help?
If you live in Denbighshire or Flintshire and your child is aged between 0 and 18 months old, you may be entitled to vouchers worth up to £75 to be used in part-payment for either the purchase of real nappies or a Real Nappy Laundry Service.
How can I apply?
You will need to complete the application form and provide a copy of the birth certificate as well as two recent utility bills or council tax notice. We now accept the MAT B1 in place of the birth certificate for parents wishing to apply for vouchers before the baby is due.
You can apply online via the Denbighshire County Council website here:
Apply For Nappy Voucher
Where can I use the vouchers?
You will receive vouchers worth £25 each, for use when your baby is aged 0-3 months, 4-9 months and 10-18 months old.
You can find lots of companies that provide sustainable nappy services by searching online. Their websites will usually highlight whether they accept Council vouchers.